Monday, September 29, 2008

RSS feeds - My experience


After creating an account on bloglines.com, I encountered a feed that I thought would be great to use in a Middle School Spanish classroom. The feed is from http://www.expatica.com/, which displays headline news from Spain in English. I would use this feed in my classroom in order to teach current events. I could take some of the most up to date headlines from this website and incorporate them into my lessons, relating these events to the topics being covered in class. I like how the feed is posted in English. Even though it is very important to practice reading in the target language, at times, newspaper articles from the target culture are very difficult to read for beginner students such as those in the Middle School. Having them read about the Spanish culture in English will give them a better understanding of what is going on in Spain today. It also takes away the frustration of reading a Spanish text at a difficult level, which makes learning a more enjoyable experience. Check it out!

3 comments:

Maryanne said...

Sara,
This sounds like a good blog to follow but for this mod, you need to tell us about a specific post that you read on the blog.
Let me know when you have posted.
Dr. Burgos

Sara Gorlewski said...

After going back to this site, I found a recent post relating to the global economic crisis. The post is from December 2 from the captial Madrid on the rising unemployment rate in Spain. According to the post, the rate rose by 6 percent, this past month, which makes it the highest in the European Union. I could use this piece of news in my classes to teach current events. I could relate the finanical crisis in Spain, to the one we are experiences in the United States. I like to compare different cultures to the United States so that my students focus on similarities instead of differences that they may not understand.

Maryanne said...

Sara,
Thanks for being more specific. I will consider this mod finished although you really should have included the link to the post you described.
Dr. Burgos