Monday, October 27, 2008

The asynchronous tool that I explored...

The asynchronous tool that I explored was voicethread.com.  This tool can hold any type of media, including video, photos and text.  You can even make voiced comments on the types of media you publish. The material you publish can be either posted as private or public, which is a great feature if used in the classroom.  To sign up for voicethread, you simply have to create a username and login.  There is even a specific login for educators on the site.  Here, if you have to include additional information about your school, such as what grade you teach, the school's zip code and web address.  I just created a personal login for the time being.

What I really liked about this site is you can add media from Facebook, as well as link your voicethread account directly to your blog on blogger.com.  I added a few photos from my last trip to Spain, and gave each picture a title.  I added the voicethread application to my Facebook account, as well as linked it to my blogger account. 

As a Spanish teacher, I would use this site to publish videos and photos for my classes to view that dealt with topics we were discussing in class.  Using voicethread would be a great way to teach culture, since often times it is difficult to add into lessons during a regular 40 minute class period.  If I could post my personal photos from my experience in Spanish speaking cities, as well as videos that I find online or that I have taken myself with a camera, my students would be able to post their reactions to what they view online at home on their own time.  They could even practice their speaking skills in the target language by posting a voiced comment in Spanish on the material published.

No comments: